The Colorado Mini Classic is the revival of a stage race for juniors that began in the 1980s with the Red Zinger and Coors Classic Stage Races. For more information on the original Red Zinger Mini Classic, please see Wikipedia and Facebook. The originial Mini Classics helped launch the careers of Bobby Julich, Jonathan Vaughters, Clark Sheehan, Ruthie Matthes, Colby Pearce and many other cycling legends. Check out the great photos on Facebook!
The 2014 Colorado Mini Classic includes the SM U23 Category,
and has the nation's highest designation for junior races!
The quiet, small town of Silt, CO will again host this year's event. Silt is located on I-70, 14 miles west of Glenwood Springs. The Silt community and Garfield County have truly embraced this event - we are very lucky to be working with such great people!
The Colorado Mini Classic is co-promoted by Altitude Cycling Sports and the Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado, with support from USA Cycling the USA Pro Challenge. Be sure to update your BRAC membership prior to coming to packet pickup!
"It's very satisfying to have an A-level junior race in Colorado.
I've ridden the courses and know that they are exciting, challenging and can accommodate large fields. The Mini Classic is one of very few quality races I know of that is junior-focused.
Thank you Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado and Two Rivers Cycling!"
- Laurel R, Junior Racer
Here is a timeline for the 2014 event:
Friday, May 16 - 11:59pm Early Bird Registration Ends
Wednesday, May 21 - 11:59pm Registration Closes
- Pre-registration closes on usacycling.org. There is no day-of registration for the Mini Classic.
Saturday, May 24 - Packet Pick-up, Time Trial, Pizza Party
- 8am - Noon - Packet Pick-Up - Holiday Inn Express.
- 1pm - 3pm - Time Trial - New course near the Holiday Inn Express.
- 6pm - 8 pm - Pizza Party for Racers and Families.
Sunday, May 25 - Criterium
- 8:00 am Criterium - The 2014 criterium is a new venue in downtown Rifle - details will come soon.
Monday, May 26 - Road Race and Awards - 10am - 4pm
- A truly AMAZING road race venue that is based out of Veteran's Park in Silt! Our younger racers will tackle the 14 mile loop featuring challenging climbs, rolling hills, a fun descent back into town, and each lap features a trip down the "Roller Coaster". Our older racers will get a new, longer course that includes more climbing, more rollers, and more scenic views of the valley and Grand Mesa. You've got to see it to believe it!
- 3 Awards Waves - Awards Party in Veteran's Park. Food, beverages, music and fun for all! The first award ceremony will be shortly after the 2nd wave starts. Likewise, the second wave awards will be shortly after the 3rd wave starts. The final wave awards will be presented as soon as possible after the road race finishes.
The Holiday Inn Express in Silt is a valuable partner and will again be our Race Headquarters. Make your reservations now before it fills up, and be sure to mention "Mini Bicycle Classic" to receive a discounted rate.