As part of our mission to develop and grow grassroots cycling in Colorado, the Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado is committed to supporting women racers. As many women are fairly new to the sport, we suggest that all new racers consider joining a club to find support, training tips, carpooling to races, and options for coaching, equipment and improvement.
Joining a Team
If you find yourself looking for a team to join, there are a few ways to approach this task:
- Reference the BRAC website for the list of all active teams and determine which ones include women. Contact the team director of each, inquiring whether they have available space for additional athletes and/or whether they accept riders of your category ( Ie. Some teams accept Cat 4 women, some do not).
- Attend a race and speak with the women in your event about their teams- ask what they like and do not like, and how you can go about joining their team. Some teams require references or recommendations from current members, on behalf of new members. So networking at the events is a great way to get your foot in the door.
- Consider speaking with officials or event promoters ? ask the people running the events which teams they like or speak highly of. Talk to your coach or other coaches to see which teams they recommend.
- Keep in mind that most teams select their rosters in the fall for the following season. If you are applying for a team mid-season, or at the beginning of the calendar year, you may find that everyone has filled their roster and they are not taking on new riders. Ask if you can add your name to a wait list or if you could guest ride with the team at an event.
- Most important, try to seek out teams that mirror your goals ?whether it?s having fun, socializing, racing on a very serious level, serving the community ? be sure you find a good fit so you can align your own goals with the team?s (otherwise, it can make for a very long season!).
Suggestions posted by Megan Hottman, Director of the "TheCyclist-Lawyer.com SW4 cycling team." www.hottmanlawoffice.com/team . Her team accepts applications from beginner SW4 racers year-round.
BRAC hosts clinics specific to women racers. In the spring there is a road clinic, and in the fall there is a CX clinic. These are excellent opportunities to meet new friends, gain new knowledge and skills, and learn from the excellent coaches we are blessed to have in Colorado. See the link below for materials presented at the clinics: